Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1st - Ooh! It's April Fool's Day! I wonder if anyone is going to play any jokes on me today.....

So, the thrush is back under control for now. Thank goodness. Last week was the most painful it's been in a while!

My 2.5 mile run on Saturday was fantastic!! I was supposed to do six intervals of walking for two minutes and running for 5 minutes according to my NoBo homework. I ended up running the entire 2.5 miles!! Mind you, I was really slow, not quite 5 mph but still. I ran for 32 minutes straight. It felt awesome! Here's a link to the stats: http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/files/user/090_2013_2_OV_SpringForward.htm. I was 146 out of 241 peeps. :-)

Scott is finishing up his first week of NoBo training as well so I've started scoping out some 5K's in the May/June/July timeframe for us to do together. Who knew exercise could be so much fun!

Had my Nexplanan inserted this past Friday. I didn't feel a thing getting it inserted but goodness, it's like 2 inches long! For some reason I thought it would be a lot smaller than that. And while I was there, I told Dr. K about my training to run 5K's. She thinks it's wonderful! She said so long as I'm getting the nutrition I need, she can't think of anything healthier I could possibly do!

Scott and I went to Pasta Villa for dinner on Friday night. (Why do I think that both JBB and Karen told me to carbo load the night before a race??) I asked the waitress if she could bring me an extra glass of water or two because I have swallowing problems. She said "Me too. Radiation?", (at which point I think both Scott and I did a double take!) I said "Yeah. Tongue cancer?", she said "No, nasal cancer.". We then proceeded to swap some stories and details. It was way weird. I asked how long ago her radiation treatments were and she told me they were a year and a half ago and she's STILL experiencing dry mouth, having to suck on tic tacs all the time, and has a very hard time eating bread. I was surprised! I told her that I was told it only takes 6 months to a year to bounce back. She said that she was told the same thing initially but now they're telling her to expect it to take 4-5 years. GAH! This lines up with what Mr. Price had been telling me about our local radio DJ as well. He also had some kind of nasal cancer and was still having saliva problems a few years down the road. I was having a slight freak out with this info. Scott sarcastically said "Yeah, because you should be listening to your waitress.". He has a point but still, a little anxious. Meanwhile, I started thinking really hard about my saliva situation and I'm pleased to report that I licked a couple of envelopes over the weekend. THAT was something I couldn't do a couple of months ago. And I feel like spit production has slowly been increasing. Maybe nasal cancer and tongue cancer don't have quite the same effects? Or, she looked to be a bit older than me so maybe I'll bounce back sooner being relatively young? Fingers crossed all the way around.

I'm switching my list so that it's titled Improvements instead of No Improvements. A little half glass full attitude passed along by my sweetie. :-)


Improvements:
- Thrush is currently back under control. One of these times it will hopefully stay gone.
- Lack of spit still making eating somewhat difficult but it's getting better.
- Bullfrog effect  - I've noticed eating salty food makes my neck balloon way up. Not that I care. It's not painful, just ugly, and really, who the hell am I trying to impress at this point in time. Ha!
- Garbled talking - Some days are better than others.
- Partial taste buds - Even more improvement in the sweet department. I chewed on a couple of Good and Plenty at the movie theater last night. I could tell they were licorice flavor but the candy coating on the outside was still a bit of a loss for me. Soon............
-Still losing hair but it has definitely slowed down at this point.

Fun stuff:

Other than the big run, the weekend was peaceful. Yesterday Scott and I went to see the movie Oz. It was cute but I could have waited for the DVD release. I made a ham with trimmings. It ended up being a bit dry which bummed me out. I would start experimenting to see what I did wrong but the damn thing cost $50!! I'd rather buy lobster and experiment with that instead! ;-)


The main floor of my house is finally ready for hardwoods. Woo hoo! I buzzed home for 15 minutes this morning to have someone come take a look (and measurements). I was super impressed because it was a woman that came out to assess what I needed done and she's the one that would be doing the work. How cool is that?? The quote from her is $3500 which seems really reasonable to me. I have a second company coming tomorrow at 4:00 to also give me a quote. Either way, I'm hoping to get something scheduled by the end of the week! Thank goodness! I can't wait to have my house put back together. I've been so disorganized not having an office. I've started looking at office furniture on-line. I should probably take some measurements in the front bedroom and physically go to some stores and look at stuff as well. I think the back bedroom is going to stay empty for a while until I decide what I'm really going to do with it. Next up will be remodeling the family room. I had originally planned on turning it into a cozy reading room but now that I've been doing all this running stuff, I think I would be better off making it my workout room. Especially since it's on a concrete slab. It would be perfect for the treadmill. I'm going to wait a few months on that though. I want a breather from this remodeling crap. It will be nice to simply hunker down and enjoy my house for a bit!

Upcoming fun stuff. I took this Friday off, just for the hell of it. It's supposed to be 51 degrees, partly cloudy so Scott said something about heading out to golf. First round of the season! Woo hoo! Saturday I'm headed to Liverpool to visit Sandi for a bit. She has some golf clubs to give me because she recently upgraded. Then I'm headed over to Chili's and the Great Northern Mall to do dinner and a movie with T and Vic. T and I both read the book The Host and loved it. We're super pumped to see the movie!

I was telling Scott last night that at the beginning of the year I felt that I was paying way too much attention to cancer recovery milestones that seemed slow in coming. This is why I signed up for yoga and NoBo. A) to start feeling healthy again and B) so that I would have some positive milestones to look forward to, such as running a 5K and being able to do 20 pushups in a row. As it turns out, meeting him has been even better than anything I came up with to take my mind off of things. Every single week I look forward to spending time with him. Whether it's celebrating a holiday, going to see a movie, making golf plans (or really, just snuggling up with him on the couch), I wake up every day excited about the next adventure on the horizon with him! Thank you, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment