Sunday, June 9, 2013

June 9 -  Not a good week.

I decided that since the ear, jaw, neck thing is getting progressively worse, I had better call in the big guns. Actually, Leo called in the big guns. His sister-in-law works for Dr. C (the ENT cancer doctor) so he called her up, she rearranged some stuff and got me in to see a doc at 8:00 Wednesday morning. If I had waited until Thursday, I could have seen Dr. C himself but honestly, he intimidates the hell out of me, so I asked to see the female half of his practice, Dr. B. She doesn't know what's wrong with me either. She told me to continue with the Flonase because it really could be allergies. She also told me to get a night guard from my dentist (I have an appointment on Tuesday) because I might be grinding my teeth at night. She said she doesn't see or feel anything "bad", I can only assume "bad" is her euphemism for cancer, but she's scheduling an MRI for me so they (her and Dr. C) can take a look. She said the radiation may have caused my jawbone to deteriorate which could be causing trouble.

So, I'm still popping pain pills like a crazy woman. It's excruciating every morning when I wake up so I've been getting up, popping pills, and laying back down for 45 minutes until the pain is manageable again. On Thursday, I just couldn't do it. I got up, took the pills, and called into work. I spent the day laying in bed, medicating myself to the hilt. Then babydoll came over for dinner after work, around 8:30 pm. We grilled steak. I got a piece stuck in my throat. This actually happens fairly often, food getting stuck in my throat, and I either manage to wash it down with milk, or fish it out with my finger. Well, neither of those was working that night. We ended up at the emergency room around 9:30. While they were running around trying to find me a room, the stupid piece of meat finally dislodged. They made me stay for a bit anyway for 'observation'. I felt dumb for being there and commented that I should have just waited at home for it to resolve itself. The doctor admonished me and said it was a good thing I came in because it could have resolved itself in a bad way as well. That made me feel a little bit better.


My latest fear is that I'm going to burn a hole in my stomach with the copious amounts of pain meds that I'm taking. I'm not sure that's even a realistic fear but it's my latest Chicken Little moment.

Fun stuff:

Scott and I went to a free concert Friday night which was a lot of fun. Yesterday was jam packed. I sat at the grotto booth from 8:30 - 2:00. Then I took Scott out for his first taste of Korean food. He wasn't impressed. Ha! Then we went to his coworker's house from 3:30 - 5:30 for a pool party, then it was off to his niece's house from 6:30 - 9:30 for her graduation party. Phew! This morning I was up bright and early so that Sandi and I could go play 18 holes. It was an absolutely gorgeous day but man, those golf lessons I'm taking aren't doing diddly squat for me. I still had the score card from when Scott and I played the same course on Memorial Day and I scored one stroke higher today than I did two weeks ago!!

From here on out I'll be concentrating on life cleanup so that when I get on the plane Thursday morning to head to Florida, I can simply relax. With that in mind, I'm off to mow the lawn which has gotten ridiculously long with the past 4 days of rain we've had!

No comments:

Post a Comment