Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February 13 - Seriously. I really love my new doctor. I have no idea why I waited so long to find a new one. Dr. K rocks!

The shingles are definitely gone.  The thrush is definitely still there. I will be picking up yet another prescription for diflucan today. Dr. K also put a refill on it so that if a month from now the thrush persists, I can self medicate. On the bright side, it seems to have toned down quite a bit. I'm only bleeding once or twice a week, same thing with waking up with a swollen tongue. I also mentioned to her how super sensitive I am to spicy foods and how upsetting it is. I asked if she thought it was a function of the continuing thrush or my new tongue. She said it's likely the thrush which was a great relief because if I can just kick this nasty thing, I might finally be able to head over to Young's for my spicy shrimp and seafood pancake that I've been craving for months!

I mentioned my hair loss to her and asked what could potentially be causing it. Patilda was right. Radiation to the head and neck can sometimes cause thyroid problems which can lead to hair loss. Dr. K doesn't think it's my thyroid though because I don't have any of the other symptoms that would go along with that. She said that it's probably a combination of continuing effects from the radiation treatments as well as some form of post traumatic stress disorder. She said that sometimes women who give birth will then start losing their hair 6 months later from the trauma. Weird. I guess it will eventually stop and my hairdresser says that I have all sorts of soft new hair growing in already so eventually my locks should be back to norm.

Lastly, we talked about birth control. I'm going to get an implant in my arm that last for 3 years. It's scheduled for 2/27 at 8:30 pm. Yeah, pm. I'm usually thinking about getting ready for bed around that time, Dr. K is still busy doing procedures! Crazy! Note to Kunkel: I specifically asked her if it hurts, since you terrorized me with your recent experience. Dr. K says that so far, 100% of the time, patients say "What, you're done already?". So, keep your fingers crossed for me!  Meanwhile, I realize that birth control has nothing to do with the cancer saga but just in case I start complaining about new and weird symptoms cropping up, someone might want to remind me that I have this all new thing going on in my body. :-)

So, I walked next door to the lab to give blood so they could do a thyroid test. Dr. K also mentioned a few other tests she wanted to do. I told her to go ahead and put me down for anything and everything because giving blood is always such an ordeal for me, might as well do as much as possible while we can. I swear my veins actually run away the moment a needle pierces my skin! Yesterday was no different. Nurse shoved the needle in, the vein jumped on her, she then started fishing around for it with the needle under my skin. Oh. My. God. It effing hurt! I finally yelled 'uncle' and told her she had to stop. I was crying at this point for pity's sake. I do NOT cry in public! She asked if I was sure because she had managed to nab the vein and was getting blood. I told her fine, leave it in but not to move it AT ALL. Then we're sitting there forever. I'm staring at the wall because I have no desire to see the needle, or my blood, or anything remotely gross but I finally turned my head to see why things were taking so long. Turns out Dr. K took me at my word when I said test for everything. They took 6 vials of blood from me!! I felt like I was a daytime snack for a vampire! 

No clue when  results are supposed to be back. I'll report in when I know something.

I weighed in yesterday. Scale said 121.2 so things are holding steady at the start of my running program (which I will be referring to as NoBo from here on out). I've completed 4 homework assignments for it so far. Yesterday morning saw me on the treadmill at 5:45 am. Walking for 4:30 minutes and then jogging for 30 seconds, 6 times. Easy peasy. I got this. :-)

That's if for the health stuff, on to the fun stuff. I wasn't even done enjoying my original bouquet of flowers and Scott brought me a new bouquet yesterday. How gorgeous are these?? That man is absolutely the sweetest guy I have ever met.........

And for the first time in 11 years I have a date for Valentine's Day. Color me excited! :-)


We ended up having quite a storm last Friday, I had to postpone hiking with Kit to this weekend but I did get to go to my concert. It was okay. I liked the music, but didn't love it. Plus I was really surprised at how drunk everyone was getting. You pay $60 for a concert ticket, you'd think you'd want to be sober enough to remember it. Not only that but beer was $5 for a small cup, talk about an expensive drunk! On Sunday I went to Evan's birthday party. I befriended a 6 year old named Dimitri. I am now e-mailing his with his Mom to see if I can set up a play date with him. I might have a new kid for kid-time and he's local too! Woo hoo! On top of that Elvisa told me I can borrow Evan any time I want. I told her I'd like to wait until he's talking. Spending one on one time with a kid who wouldn't be able to tell me why he's crying would definitely send me into a slight panic. ;-P

This weekend I have the NoBo group run on Saturday morning. Maybe. I'm kind of liking doing my homework on my treadmill instead of braving the elements. And since I don't really need the motivation or new friends for that matter......we'll see how many group runs I actually make it to. Then I'm off for the hike with Kit and then lunch with her afterwards. I then decided to host a Rochester Meetup. I'm going to the RocCity Brewfest which is a 3 hour tasting of craft beers. I have 3 people signed up to go with me so far. Should be fun! On Sunday I'm heading to the Syracuse area to spend the day with Patilda. Do some snowshoeing, check out all of the remodeling she's been doing to her home, watch her bunny rabbits do binkies, play some video games, and whatever else strikes our fancy. Ahhh........relaxing on a Sunday with a best bud. Life is so, so good.

And now I'm out of here. I took a half day from work today. I forgot to plug the drain hole in the basement again (blond, female, Polish) and the city sewer backed up into my basement again. Just a little bit but it smells down there even worse than normal (litter boxes are kept down there). So, I'm off to do some power washing and get things cleaned back up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment