Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5 - Okay, I've been reprimanded by a few peeps for the lack of posts recently, and with good reason. So today I will spit out a hodgepodge of health updates and see where we're at.

I'm still losing hair by the handful on a daily basis and I'm not sure why. I can only assume it's because I don't have the healthiest diet going on. Although I'm drinking a gallon of whole milk (sometimes more) every single week. Isn't calcium supposed to be good for nails, bones, teeth, and hair??  I went to see my stylist a couple of weeks ago to get my hair trimmed and even she commented that I only have about half the hair that I used to. She asked if it was a relief to have some of it gone since walking around with 18 pounds of hair on your head can be a burden at times. I considered her question seriously for a few minutes but in the end, hair loss does not denote good health, and that's all I've been wishing for, for many months now, so nope, can't see the silver lining in less hair.

The weight issue. Well, not quite as stabilized as I had hoped. Yesterday I weighed 120.2. A week or two ago I had dropped down to 118 but managed to pull it back up. I've really been trying to beef up the eating. Saturday I grazed continuously throughout the day and I weighed myself right before bed. Scale said 125.6. Weighed myself again Sunday morning and the scale said 120.4. Not sure what more I can do about it. I've actually been trying to pay less attention to it because fretting about it so much wasn't doing me any good. And hey, so long as I feel okay and have energy to make it through the day kicking ass, it's all good, right?






Eating is simply weird. You would think that soft foods would be doable and some are, but some are not. Rice for example is a struggle. The kernels are too small to chew very well but too large to swallow comfortably. Meanwhile, my new all time fave snack is something we used to eat constantly as kids, a celery stalk smeared with peanut butter. It sounds like something I should not be able to manage to eat at all but amazingly, it goes down really well. No idea why. Maybe because celery is mostly water?  Meanwhile, spicy foods seem to be out for now. Recently tried some guacamole, salsa, a pepper popper.....made my tongue burn like a son of a gun, and not in a pleasant way! This has me slightly worried. I'm a huge fan of spicy. It's one of the reasons Korean food is one of my fave foods, because they know how to do spicy! I'm hoping the tongue sensitivity is a passing thing and not the new norm. Only time will tell.

A few more coworkers have commented on how much better my speech is sounding. Again, always good to hear. I think I may have even laughed the other night. Scott (my paramour, my new 'friend', the guy I'm seeing, crap, dating after 40 gets tricky!) told me he's allergic to fish. I asked, being the sushi lover that I am, if I'm supposed to avoid kissing him on days I eat fish, or more specifically, the unagi rolls that I love to make. He asked what unagi was. I told him it's eel. He said "Eel huh? Lets just assume I'm allergic to that okay?". This sent me into a fit of giggles! Or whatever passes as giggles for me nowadays. I'll have to ask him if my laughter was recognizable for what it was. :-)

My taste buds seem to be coming back by leaps and bounds for the past month. Sweet is still off but I ate a piece of brownie the other night and I could actually taste a hint of chocolate and sugar so we're finally on the way! They said it would probably take 6-12 months and it has now been 4 1/2 so for once something seems to be tracking with what I was told. Woo hoo!

I walk around freezing my butt off constantly. Actually, I was just complaining recently that I have no butt. I'm hoping that once I start running this Saturday, maybe I'll acquire a butt. I walk around hitching my jeans up all the time because there is nothing back there to hold them. Anyway, I bought a space heater for the house which I've started toting around with me. It's currently sitting next to me, keeping me warm as I type. I will then carry it into the basement with me to the bathroom so that it warms that room while I shower. And thank goodness our safety guy at work has no problem purchasing space heaters for our cubbies. I have that baby blowing on me all day long while sitting at my desk. I just can't seem to get warm! Ever!

The gagging thing has completely stopped. Guess Dr. C was right. I just needed to get used to this lump of flesh in my mouth. I noticed that the scar on my thigh from the skin graft is already starting to fade which is really cool. The stiffness in my neck has improved quite a bit although there's still some tightness and pulling, especially when I try to look up. But I have confidence that in a few more months I will have full mobility once again.

Sleep is still a hit or miss thing. Last night I turned my light out at 10:00 and was up at 12:30 for 15 minutes and then back up at 3:30 this morning, for good. I'll probably be dragging a little at yoga tonight but hopefully it means I'll sleep more soundly tonight. I take whatever I can get when it comes to sleep. I would say that it's all good because I'm still functioning but I mentioned to JT yesterday that my memory isn't worth a pile of beans anymore. You can just imagine how that makes OCD girl over here feel! I would say I still have "radiation brain" going on which is very similar to "pregnancy brain" but honestly, I think it's more likely the lack of solid sleep for 7 months straight. Hopefully my brain cells don't get used to stagnating so much. They need to snap back to attention the moment I'm able to sleep 8 continuous hours! 

I think that's about all that I have to report on the health front so, we can end with some fun stuff.

Work is slowly progressing on the remodeling project. I'm a bit bummed that it's taking longer than expected but I think it's just because I'm getting anxious about my house being in disarray for so long. I'm still hoping that I'll be able to get the rest of the hardwoods put in by the beginning of the summer.

I'm finally solidifying some of my travel plans for the year. In the next few weeks I plan on heading towards Syracuse to visit Patilda one weekend and Samammy and the kids another weekend. I contacted JBB and we're making a plan for me to visit her in NYC this fall at which point we will be discussing details of our Hawaii trip that will be happening in the spring of 2014. I contacted my father and I'm making a plan to visit him and Mary in June. I spoke to Luke and it sounds like there will be a backpacking trip in September that I can go on and bag a couple of peaks for the year. I still need to talk to Andy and Kim about a trip to Idaho, probably in August. I need to check in with the manservant too since I'm planning on dragging his ass with me. I also need to contact the local caving group and start attending their meeting again so that I can get in on a spelunking expedition this summer. And on top of all of that, I think I'm going to schedule myself for a 3-4 day cruise some time in the next couple of months. Just me. Just to take a break and soak up some sun.

And with images of sandy beaches, glorious sunsets, and warm breezes filling me head.....I'm off and running for the day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment