Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11

I really don't have much to report but peeps are wondering so........

The PET scan went fine for the most part. I got there, they took me to a back room where I downed the anti-anxiety pill. My tech, Rob, then took a blood sample to make sure I had done the no-carb thing. My sugar said 74 which he was very pleased with. I asked him if 100 is the number you need to be under and he said hardly anyone EVER gets their sugar under 100 so the number is more like 125-150. Yes, I'm an over achiever, what can I say. :-)

Then Rob tried to put an IV in. Throughout this whole process over the past year I have learned that I have really tiny veins and I'm very hard to 'stick'. I also learned that I don't like to watch. I don't mind blood but watching them stick a needle in me, and then moving it around under the skin (which bleeping hurts!) because the vein moved on them and they're trying to find it again, really grosses me out and I get a little woozy. So, I don't watch. So while I'm not watching today, there are sounds coming from tech Rob that are sounding a little more frantic than they should. I turn around to see what's going on and there's blood everywhere! WTH?! I looked at him and asked "What happened??". Turns out he accidentally hit an artery rather than a vein. Ewwww. After he got the bleeding to stop, washed off my entire arm, changed the covers on the pillow, and basically did a major cleanup, we were good to go again. Unfortunately, since he 'ruined' the area in the crook of my elbow, I once again had to get the line put in the back of my hand. Those hurt quite a bit more that the other but at least we finally got it done. Then they shot me up with the radioactive sugar and inserted a saline drip to disperse it through my body, and I got to sit quietly for 45 minutes. I think I read for 10 minutes and then just decided to nap because last night was not a good sleeping night. Too many bad dreams about cancer creeping through my body and eating me alive. Or the other worry is slowly wasting away until I don't weigh enough to keep myself alive. My scale said 116 this morning. That's the lowest I've been yet, I think.

Anyway, I then get stuck in the machine for picture taking time. I was in the machine for ~45 minutes. I took a nap in there too. :-)

And then I was done. My coworker, Rich, came to pick me up. I took him to lunch at the Crab Shack as a thank you for picking up my sad, sorry butt, and because I hadn't eaten anything since 6:30 the night before and I thought food would make me feel better. Turns out I was wrong. I got nauseous. Rich dropped me off at home instead of back at work and he and JT dropped my car off in my driveway later on in the afternoon for me. I've been sleeping ever since.

Not sure when I'll hear from Dr. C about the PET scan results. Kunkel said she thought he had said the results were pretty instantaneous. I don't remember him saying that but hey, that's why I bring an extra set of ears with me. Either way, I have a checkup appointment set up with him for next Thursday that I haven't gotten around to canceling yet so I'm just going to leave it on the books until I hear from his office. So, hopefully within a week I will know if I have to go through another round of hell or not. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment