Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2 - PET scan yesterday was fine. Went in and first they test your blood to make sure you did the no carb/fasting thing. (If you don't, they fine you $300!) My sugar count was 89 and they said anything below 100 meant that they could proceed with the test. They then shot me full of radioactive stuff and flooded my body with sugar through an IV. It turns out that cancer loves sugar so this whole process is to take pictures and see where, if anywhere, the sugar gravitates to in large quantities because it could indicate a hot spot for cancer. Have I mentioned that science is weird? Anyway, I then got to take my Ativan and sit quietly for 45 minutes for everything to take effect. Then I went into a big room with a very long tube. I had to lay down and hold very still for 45 minutes while I was randomly moved back and forth through this tube (I fell asleep!). Then I was done.

- Huge thanks to Leo for dragging my drugged butt around yesterday! And he totally saved me with the fruit smoothie after the appointment. I was starving! I'm surprised the vibrations from my rumbling tummy didn't cause their pictures to blur! You rock, Gammy!

- Kudos to the guy who put my IV in. I have discovered over the past couple of months that finding a vein in either of my arms is mission impossible. I STILL have bruises showing on my right arm where IV attempts were made a month ago! Anywho, dude yesterday took his time, got it first try, and it barely hurt. I told him I was coming back to him for all my poking from here on out!

- I scored a really cute pair of navy blue paper pants. They don't even feel like paper! Since they were just going to trash them, I asked if I could have them. They'll be great for when I want to do some painting!

And I'm ending today's blog with a comment on the famed "bucket list". Does everyone have one of these? I sure don't but I'm thinking I need one at this point. I'm going to rent and watch the movie this weekend and then put some thought into my list. The one thing that I have that may meet the parameters of being bucket list worthy is owning a piece of land. For over 5 years now I have been looking at plots of land that are at least 20 acres. I want someplace within a 2 hour drive that the dogs and I can go camping on. Plus 20 years from now (if I'm still kickin') I'd like to build a retirement cabin on it. My friend Kit had a gorgeous cabin built out in the woods a few years ago and I totally fell in love with it which is what got me thinking about it in the first place. So far it's simply been a daydream to own this land because my actual house still needs so much work but I think I need to make it a reality because it's always nice to have someplace peaceful to escape to. Stay tuned on this...........

No comments:

Post a Comment