Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 7 - You ever have one of those days? My appointment with the RGH dentist was at 9:00  this morning. Last week the radiation nurse told me to just park in the cancer center parking lot and check in at the front desk and they would tell me where I needed to go. Based on this, I skated out the door at 8:40 since the hospital is less than 3 miles from my house. Unfortunately, they changed the code on the cancer parking lot so I had to park a couple of blocks away and walk back. Then the front desk had no idea where I was supposed to be and it took them a bit of time to figure it out. I didn't get to the desk for the dentist until 9:05 which makes me twitchy, hate being late. Then there was quite a line and when I finally got to the window, they had me filling out paperwork that I had already filled out for the cancer center a couple of weeks ago. I asked them what was up with that since they're all a part of the same hospital. Something about the computer systems still getting tied in and they hope to be on-line with the rest of the hospital by January. So, I didn't actually get checked in until 9:30. How embarrassing!

And of course, nobody seemed to know why I was there to see the dentist. I told the dentist what I thought I was there for but I also told him I wasn't sure. It seems like nobody talks directly TO me, I simply listen in to all of the conversations the health care professionals have with each other. Poor guy felt bad. He said "Okay, well I'm talking TO you so let's figure this out together". (I liked him!) So, it turns out I need "covers" that I will need to wear during radiation because of my bridge and my crown. He will also be making me fluoride trays which get worn after radiation. Getting the impression taken of the top part of my mouth was not fun. The goop felt like it was going halfway down my throat and I started gagging. Dentist talked me through it but I'm pretty sure he's going to have bruises around his wrist tonight from where I was clutching at him. I have to go back on Friday morning for a final fitting at which point he will hand over the covers and trays to me.

I noticed yesterday that I am actually putting my teeth together now. Hooray! Unfortunately, it takes more than this to be able to chew. It would seem when you chew, your tongue moves around quite a bit. While I am still stuck eating soft foods, it felt really good to see some actual improvement in the swelling!

Sammy and the ankle biters came to see me today. We walked down to the neighborhood park and had a lot of fun with balloons, frisbees, swings, etc. It felt great to have a kid day! Of course I am now completely wiped out and I'm heading to bed to watch some more Dexter and call it an early night.

More to come tomorrow after I see Chrysa!

No comments:

Post a Comment