Friday, September 13, 2013

September 13

Allrighty, I'm sitting here, my bags are packed and I'm just waiting for them to process my discharge paperwork. All three docs saw me this morning, the second drain was pulled out, and I'm being released for the weekend. I'm back here on Monday though to see Dr. V. He wants to remove the bolster from my neck, remove the pressure bandage from my leg, and possibly change out my tube to something more comfortable for now.

They made me watch that damn video again. I actually stayed awake for the whole thing and it was just as useless as ever. And I noticed in the opening credits that it was actually filmed in 1983. On the bright side there was a trach video this time too that was VERY helpful. I asked to watch that one twice and I took notes the second time.

I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to make being a lary easier. I already mentioned that I'm buying a second mister for the main floor of the house and I'm going to somehow make it mobile. According to the trach video last night, it's good to keep your house at a 40-60% humidity level. So, I'm due for my free cleaning from Betlem Heating and Air, I have a service contract with them, and I plan on asking them if my furnace is capable of accepting one of those whole house humidifier things. Babydoll also has a friend in that business so he's going to check with him as well and do a little price shopping for me. Babydoll is also trying to hunt down an air purifier that he swears he has somewhere because filtering out some of the pet hair in my house certainly can't hurt anything. I'm kind of curious to know if a majority of larys move south so that they can live year round in warm, moist air. There has to be some stats on that. I should go Googling. Also in the trach video they showed a shower shield that's different than the one the hospital gave me. It's a slightly more rigid plastic that goes around your neck with a little beak that pokes out to accomodate the trach. The one the hospital gave me is simply a plastic bib that velcros around my neck. I'll be going shopping for the more rigid one. 

I got the roommate from hell last night. Talk about white trash to the extreme! I thought I was on a surprise episode of Honey Boo Boo! Not that I've ever watched that show but based on the blurbs I've seen in commercials and bits I've read in magazines, I get the picture of what the show is about. Anyway, low education level, hasn't worked in years due to one disability after another, covered in tattoos, surprisingly a lesbian, talks at a level that any other human would consider shouting. She was on the phone until 10:30 at night. Babydoll and I could barely hear the TV over her conversations that she was having and let me tell you, they were doozies. I can pass along pretty much every intimate detail of this woman's life to you, if you so desire to hear it. Plus she's definitely addicted to narcotics. She was telling the nurse that she was just weaned off of them a week ago. I think she mis-spoke when she said she was weaned because every single hour she was wailing for either pain meds or Ativan. Not that I can hold that against her, they really are good drugs and hey, she was here because that had to schedule her for an emergency colon cancer surgery. But it was kind of ridiculous. No sooner would they give her the pain meds, half an hour later she'd be hitting her call bell asking why they hadn't brought her the meds yet. I'm looking forward to getting home simply so I can catch up on the sleep that I did NOT get last night because of her!

Michelle, the speech therapist, just stopped in to say 'hi'. She said she was out to dinner with the hubby last night and was talking about me. She said that she's used to dealing with the elderly but first me and now she has a 36 year old guy patient who was just diagnosed with tonsil cancer, she's noticing a trend shift in the median age of people with cancer and she's not liking it at all. She finds it upsetting and unfair. She said that she could totally see sitting at that restaurant with me and the tonsil  guy, having normal convo, and sharing food, and she just got really bummed out about it. She's such a sweetie.

Okay, I can't think of any other updates of interest. I'm going to go play some games on my iPad and hope they're almost ready to release me. Chat at you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment