Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 5

Okay, I don't know about being back to blogging every day. Especially after a day like yesterday. I really have nothing to report. My butt was lounging on the chaise the entire day. I didn't do a damn thing otherwise.

I was up at stupid o'clock this morning though (4:15), just for the heck of it and I decided to sort through the reams of paper that I was sent home with. So, here's what I accomplished:

I've subscribed to a medic alert place for the next 3 years and picked out a really pretty medic alert bracelet to wear. I'm not even sure it's necessary but for $110 I'm happy to purchase some peace of mind for a bit.

Speaking of $110, I was wondering yesterday if medical expenses are tax deductible. I thought I had looked into it last year but the threshold you have to hit before claiming is really high and even with the $4,000 deductible on my insurance, I didn't meet the criteria. I can't remember the specifics though so it's on my list to do some research on that front and get prepared for tax season.

I filled out a registration card for a company called Atos. They sell the speaking valves and some other trach stuff that is not necessarily provided by the medical supply company. Supposedly I will now qualify for coupons and discounts with them.

Speaking of the medical supply company, I sent them an e-mail asking them if they would be sending me some kind of survey each month about what items I need to have replenished in my stock pile. I certainly don't want them shipping me the max amount of what my insurance company covers each month because there's some stuff in there that there's no way I'm possibly going to use up every month and I really don't want my home to become a warehouse of unused/unwanted supplies.

I joined an organization called WebWhispers. It's a forum for other laryngectomees to ask questions and share experiences with each other. Normally I don't go in for that type of thing but the brochure used travel as an example of a forum talk. I'm really interested to learn how others pack and travel with all the equipment they need!

Lastly, I scheduled my furnace cleaning checkup. It's that time of year so I sent them an e-mail. I have them coming next Thursday between 12:00 - 4:00. That's a night that Scott will be coming over after work so if a furnace cleaning guy decides to off me since I can't scream, at least my body will be found quickly. ;-P

I still need to research a company called Edgepark that Michelle told me about. Something about it being an in-network provider more often than not so the supplies they offer (such as the previously mentioned Atos brand) can be gotten at a discount.

I also asked babydoll if in the next couple of weeks he can help me figure out how to contact my local 9-1-1 dispatcher to let them know about my 'neck breather' status.

So it would seem stupid o' clock in the morning doesn't necessarily prevent a person from being productive. :-)

This Jevity stuff that I'm dumping into my belly 3x a day seems to be doing the trick. I'm up to 116 pounds this morning. Yay!

My coworker, Maynard, who I often refer to as HB (Honey Bunny) sent me a note yesterday. It turns out he's become a blog follower as well and wanted to check in with me. It was good to hear from him. Boss guy sent me a get well card and then said inside the card that he didn't know if a get well card for something like this is even appropriate. I told him he could send me a Hanukkah card and it would make me happy because at least then I know someone is thinking about me. And Kunkel is finally winding down her month end close so she was texting me yesterday. She said the place isn't the same without me and that she misses me. Awwww. She's popping over at lunch tomorrow to see me. And tomorrow afternoon my friends Terri and Sandi are driving up to pay me a visit. All good stuff!

And now as my feeding winds down, I gotta go do my power shot of meds and clean myself up for the day. H should be here around 10:30 to whisk me off to see Dr. V. There had better be SOME kind of resolution to my neck thing happening today. Babydoll sent an e-mail saying he wouldn't be surprised if they simply have me do wound care for another week. That's a bunch of shit! If that's the outcome from today's appointment I'm going to totally flip my lid! I'll let you know how it goes........

No comments:

Post a Comment