Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June 23 part II

I  FOUND IT, I FOUND IT! I told you there was a part II!

Hello everyone.

I thought I would give you an update on the expectations for Quinny. They have changed somewhat since this morning. The nurses I spoke to last night and this morning gave me the idea that she would be passing quickly. I certainly thought so too. Dr. Cheryl came in mid morning and said that it is possible for her to go at any time, but it is her opinion that, given her age and strong heart, she thinks Q will stay another 2-3 weeks. That is unless of course, something goes wrong with her brain (there is much speculation that the cancer has traveled to her brain, thus causing the violent seizures last night). She said the brain controls everything. If that goes, it all goes. So there you have it. She will either die really quickly, or not very quickly, or somewhere in between. She will also either regain her awareness or not. I think if Q were writing this blog, she would initiate a very morbid pool, but I'm not going there.

I let the doc know, and anyone who will listen to me know, that Q's wishes would be to go quickly and without waking up. If she wakes up, she will be pissed. They continue to be very attentive. She looks very comfortable. It is my hope she stays in this peaceful condition the rest of her life. However long that may be.

If Q were writing this, you would have heard about the fun stuff by now. Let me take a shot at it, but remember, ya get what you pay for from the blog substitute. If this was a fourth grade class, you guys would be pinging me in the back of the head with erasers by now!

Friday was the final poker night. We had a spirited table of seven. I think the highlight was when Quinny broke out a bottle of Goldschlager. Damn that was good! We all did a tasty shot in her honor. That was followed by everyone's most embarrassing "I got so drunk....." story. I won't repeat any of them here, but let's just say there was a yellow stream theme. And the winner.......the all time champion is yours truly, Baby Doll. Somehow I had the most chips at the end. Pocket sevens with only three people left tends to make me a pretty good player. Then I took my money and split. I'm told that after I left, four hearty soles stayed and played an epic game of euchre. Toby and Quinny were the champs in that battle. Quinny had a great time with a great bunch of people.
 
Saturday was a strange 2fer for us. Usually Quinny is the hostess with the mostess. We all know how she can put together a whale of a get together. She rocks at that sort of thing, and I believe doing so    has extended her life. Well, Saturday we were the guests at two different friends homes. We went to visit Lou and Diana in the afternoon. Lou is (now pay attention) my niece's father- in -law. Lou and Cathy hit it off one day while at one of my family gatherings. Lou is a cancer survivor, and the two of them have had a lot to chat about via e-mail. He has a home in Ontario with a gorgeous back yard. After touring that, he took us to a neat little antique shop where Cathy found some items she couldn't resist. As we parted, Diana gave Cathy a Women's Bible with with some special verses bookmarked. We enjoyed our visit, and Cathy was truly touched with their thoughtfulness.... After a nap, it was off to Toby and Pamela's house. We got the grand tour of their house and got to see all the work they have done to it. From there Cathy and I went outside while Toby and Pamela put together a delicious dinner. The orderves were fantastic, and Toby grilled up some mighty fine sausage. I hope they invite me back (hint hint). After we ate, we had fun playing ladder ball. After we played ladder ball, we read the directions on how to play ladder ball. We were both impressed with their home and their hospitality. If Q were writing this, she would tell Toby the only thing missing is an oven for Pamela! But I'm not going there. It was just a great day for both of us.

Okay, so I started this post Monday afternoon, and just finished the last couple sentences here on Tuesday morning. I am once again spending the day with Q. There has been no real change for her since yesterday. The nurses told me she had a peaceful night, while I went to her place and did the same. I brought with me some comfort items to make her a little more at home. I brought a blanket. I brought the teddy bear she loves, and I brought the big sunflower ballon T bought her. I have to say Quinny looks great! This chick knows how to rock cute, even in hospice! I don't know how she does it, but she manages to fill this place with her awesome personality. She is the best!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Scott.. you did a great job of Quinnifying ( which I am sure is not a word) the blog. I am so glad she has Polly May with her! ( according to Q, she does not like her name shortened to Polly). I am glad you are also taking care of yourself. Give her a kiss and you are right.. she is the best .

    ReplyDelete