Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25 - Okay, just got back from seeing Chrysa (PA at plastic surgeon). She said the skin graft is looking much better. She can see "granulation" forming under the crust, which I gathered is a good thing. She wants me to start showering every day with the bandaging off so that the site can slowly get clean. She also wants me to start using my fingers a little bit. I'm still in the splint though. She thinks one more week with it should do it. Her concern is that it's still....um...well....oozing. Just in the rub spot over the tendon but I guess it should have stopped doing that by now. I told her I had no problem with that. Having a hard plaster mold protecting the site from me banging into anything is a huge relief based on the super klutz that I am!

I told her about the neck incident too. She said that there is probably a stitch under the skin that's getting irritated. She said it looks fine, leave it alone, and keep taking the antibiotics.

Lastly, I asked her about going back to work. She wants me to wait a few more weeks. She really wants to be sure the graft is set before approving a return to work. I was antsy about being home at first but with my neck getting infected (twice!), and the trach hole taking forever to heal up, and still not being able to chew, and talking still being garbled, and the skin graft not taking as quickly as it should......I'm okay with being home for a while longer.

Meanwhile, my eating has gotten more adventurous. Monday I had a cheese omelet which was oh-so-yummy! Went down as smooth as smooth can be too. Yesterday I ate a croissant with crab dip. My first bread product in weeks! It didn't go down so easy though. I had to break it into very small pieces and it took forever to eat. Might not try that again any time soon but it was good. Today I had pancakes, dripping in butter and syrup. Another winner to add to my diet. Maybe I can convince someone to go to IHOP with me for dinner some time soon! Tomorrow I'm going to be making myself hamburger gravy (mashed potatoes, ground beef, corn, gravy). So, project "beef up calorie intake" seems to be going well.

Chrysa asked me how my tongue is doing. I told her it was okay. She asked why it was just okay and not great. (Damn perky, cheerleader types...) I told her it will be great the moment I'm able to eat a steak!

And to end on a happy note: I received the most excellent surprise in the mail today. My friend Karen sent me some arm sleeves! There's a pair with paw prints and a pair with leopard spots. I love them! I am SO going to set a new style trend at work! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment